Weddings at First Congregational Church of Tallmadge are wonderful occasions of celebration for the bride and groom, and for their families and friends. At First Congregational Church of Tallmadge, we perform weddings for both members and visitors. Our Sanctuary has a wide center aisle, a fine organ, and can seat over 300 people. We also perform weddings at our historic church on the Tallmadge Circle. To inquire about a wedding, please speak to Beth Loresch in the church office.
The Genesis Pre-marriage Workshop
The Genesis Pre-marriage Workshop is a half day retreat at the church which addresses the issues of marriage the skills to meet the challenges of married life. It is our belief that by strengthening the character of the marriage relationship, a family can negotiate the problems of our modern society and find fulfillment in family life. We focus on the strength of skills development that will last a family a lifetime. Although our agenda is not exhaustive, we have identified key issues that have the greatest impact on marital fulfillment.
The Genesis Pre-marriage Workshop is appropriate for any couple considering marriage. Our workshop includes the following topics: Communication, Family planning, Religious/belief differences, Blended families, Personality assessment, Marriage vows, The ceremony.
The Genesis Pre-marriage Workshop is held at the church twice a year, in the spring and in the fall, on a Saturday for 3-4 hours, led by our senior pastor, Rev. Dr. John Schluep. There is no cost to participate. To register, or for more information, please call the church office at 330-633-4931.
The job of Wedding Coordinator at the First Congregational Church (do not assist in weddings at other locations; such as the church in the Circle) was established in 2002 for the purpose of assisting the bridal party, organist, florist, photographer and pastor to ensure the wedding ceremony has no slip ups.
The wedding coordinator will meet with the couple or communicate by phone well in advance of the wedding day in order to advise about the how the sanctuary is suited for potential flowers and other decorations.
The Coordinator’s job consists of:
• Put wedding attendants in order and rehearse until they are comfortable
• Help bridal party dress
• Pin flowers on groomsmen, parents, etc
• Get bridal party/groomsmen/parents to photo area
• Make sure sanctuary is decorated and ready for wedding
• Candles lit at appropriate time by designated groomsmen
• Grandparents/godparents/parents escorted into sanctuary at appropriate time
• Aisle runner pulled at appropriate time and secured to carpet in Narthex
• Line up bridal party and signal to organist and pastor that they are ready
• During ceremony get bubbles, birdseed, etc ready for distribution
• After photos, pack up bridal candle, flowers, pew decorations, guest book
Rehearsals usually take place on Friday for approximately 90 minutes, with the wedding on Saturday taking about 4 – 5 hours.